Rehoming a dog is a very unfortunate situation that involves a difficult and painful decision. The ability of Texas Sweeties Dog Rescue (TSDR)to accept an owner surrender is based on the availability of a willing foster and we typically work with shelters. Please read the below information carefully before beginning the process as we have stringent owner surrender guidelines. If you have found a stray dog, please go to the local shelter to give the owners a chance to reclaim.
I want to re-home my dog and I can keep until placed:
We do ask that all owner’s continue to keep their dog until we are able to match your dog with a new family. Unfortunately, we have limited foster homes and funds, so owners can help by keeping their dog until a new family has been found.
I cannot foster my dog until placed and would like to know if you can accept him/her into rescue:
If you are seeking intake for your dog into rescue please but can not foster until placed please send an email to email@example.com explaining the circumstances as to why you can not keep your dog. Please understand that few dogs are accepted into rescue in this case because dogs in shelters that are at risk for euthanasia are considered first. Additionally, a monetary donation may be required to cover boarding and/or you may be required to get your dog fully vetted prior to acceptance into the program.
My dog is injured or ill or is in need of emergent or medical intake into rescue:
If you are seeking emergency intake for your dog into rescue please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please give detailed information on your dog, what the situation is that your dog is facing and where your dog is located at present (shelter, vet, home etc). Please understand that we will also need pictures of your dog, your vet’s contact information, and an owner surrender form must be filled out prior to being able to accept the dog into our rescue.
Why should I re-home my dog through TSDR:
We often get asked why someone should re-home there dog through TSDR rather than use other avenues. There are many benefits to placing your dog through the rescue verses other avenues if you can keep your dog until placed.
- We have an adoption approval process that is followed before a dog is placed in a home.
- Any vetting that your dog is lacking will be done by the rescue once your dog has been adopted by the new family and this includes heartworm treatments.
- Your dog will be micro chipped to TSDR so you can rest easy that you dog will never end up at a shelter at risk for euthanasia. Sadly, shelters will typically only hold dogs for 72 hours before adopting them out or euthanizing them. Having the chip in our rescue’s name is an added safe guard to ensure your dog will never be euthanized at a shelter.
- Once your dog will become part of TSDR for the rest of its life. If for some reason an adoptive family can not keep the dog , we will accept him/her back into the program at any point. It actually a requirement that a dog come back into rescue and the same criteria that was used to place the dog will be used again.
For questions about the process that are not answered on this webpage, please email the intake coordinator at email@example.com.
- Fill out our online owner surrender form, a link can be found below. This form has questions regarding information we need about your dog as we consider his/her acceptance into our program and future placement. This form is automatically forwarded to our Intake Coordinator. The dog is legally yours as long as it’s in your home. You are welcome to look for alternative placements for your dog while you have your dog, but once we find a suitable new family for your dog the form will take affect and you will relinquish all rights to the dog and turn him/her legally over to Texas Sweeties Dog Rescue.
- We also request that you send photos of your dog to our intake coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org after you have submitted the form. The better the pictures are of your dog, the more adoption interest he/she will get. Pictures of your dog with other dogs, cats, and/or kids are attractive to people and will help spark interest in your dog. (Please only send these pictures if your dog is comfortable around dogs/cats/kids)
- We require that your dog be current on vaccinations and proof faxed to us prior to acceptance into the program. Any other vet records for your dog including microchip number, heartworm status/preventative, spayed/neutered, and any other medical problems should be included with the vaccinations. Once we have proof of vaccinations you will be able to move to step 4.
- We have adoption events as well as private meet and greets. You are encouraged to bring your dog to these events to help give him/her additional exposure and increase the chances of a speedy adoption. Please keep in mind if you choose not to attend adoption events it will take a very long time to place your dog. Once an approved adopter is ready to adopt your dog we will take over the process, get your dog up to date on any vetting he/she is lacking and we will finalize the adoption.